Wednesday 2 March 2011

Door Burst Lighting

Here is the development on the lighting of the VFX shot of the creature bursting from the render farm. This was going to be a very hard shot for me as I had to model the door and door frame. I had to make sure I got the right colour for the door so it would blend well into the shot. The model was simple as the video quality is low and I didn't really have the time to concentrate on getting a door to look great when the creature would draw the attention. 

Below shows the development of the rest of the shot. I think the creature fits the scene well now. with nice even shadows. The images show the development of the doors and getting the textures looking as they are part of the scene. I tried to get the right colour and shape but compositing can also help with that as we will add motion blur and lower the quality. 

These aren't the final images! This shot still needs developing, I need to finalize the door and finish up on the creature.




Here is that development of me trying to get the creature lit as he moves. Also I have started to work on the light given off by the drinks machine. First two images below this, the light was still abit bright but that will be easily toned down.



The two images below show the problem when the creature was moving around. Top images is before he starts to move and the one underneath where it started to move. You can see the difference in lighting, So I plan to work into this and try the creature lit as it moves.


The images below show the work on focusing on the creature I wanted to brighten things up and get the creature blended into the shot. The problem with the shot was that the creature moves and the lights I set up didn't really work with this. So when it was first out of the door it looked fine. But after that it looks so dark as he started to come towards the camera.






The shot below shows to many shadows. I tried to set up the lights and test what it would look like with them all. As you can see, not very good. The shadows don't work and I learnt from this!


When starting this development I had to be make sure I got shadow but I didn't want to many shadows, as it would look unnatural and give the wrong impression as the shot doesn't have many dark shadow areas apart from up the top above the door and the creature isn't going near that.

No comments:

Post a Comment