Sunday 13 March 2011

VFX Atrium Lighting

Here is the development of the first of 4 attrium shots. We plan to add 4 creatures to the shot, but animating them individually as well as lighting which gives us more control what each creature looks like.


Below is an image showing my attempt to use maya mental ray base sun light option. The reason I tried to use it was that it would give a nice ambient light and simple shadows. But every single object in the room from the tracking layer dulled out and made it nearly impossible to control and the creature was so flat colour I thought it would be harder to control this than trying to work with just simple lights to create some ambient light.

Below show me trying to get the right angle using the directional light. I had some troubles as the shadows of the chairs give the impression its coming from straight down ad underneath the balcony to the left the shadows show that the right is coming from the right. So will try develop a way to balance it out.



For this scene I want to try put lights in that I can use for the later creatures that will appear in the scene. I firstly tried just an ambient light which I thought would give a nice basic tone to the shot but the creature became out really flat. So I toned it down to give some basic light to the shot and using spot lights to start to high light areas from certain directions. Light coming from above from the left seems to be the only type of directional light so will try get that using maybe a directional light?

No comments:

Post a Comment