Sunday 6 March 2011

RenderFarm Burst Scene Lighting

Here is the development of the VFX shot for the bursting out of the renderfarm! A very fun shot to film and get setup. Nick animated the creature and door props. I did basic models for the door but we plan to blur most of the detail as it moves so fast so I didn't go into to much detail. The creature for this scene smashing through the door so we had sanjay setup the glass he smashes into. I took the scene and started to make sure the objects weren't going through the ground and did the lighting.


Below shows many images trying to get the texturing right on the props around the creature and also the development of the creature within the scene. I have added the glass shatter given to me from Sanjay. Problem I had to fix was the shader at first you couldn't see glass so I made it less transparent.

The door was an annoying object to light as we plan to comp most of the blur and colour grade it to fit the scene but I didn't want to model a really complex door for a 2 second clip and we have to lower the quality to fit the footage.



Here I was trying to get that shadow on the door that is shown on the back wall off the shot it failed mostly but I have the shadow faintly there above but again in comp we can refine it to fit the scene.




Here is the start where I started to develop the door lighting. I wanted to capture the shadows from the spot lights.






Below shows my development trying to get the vending machine light onto the creature. The images show the light abit to bright but I plan to tone that down but I thought it would be a good effect to give off light as he walked in the way of the vending machine.



Here are images show the improved lighting where it brighter now and starting to show promise.


These first images below show a quite dark lit character I was trying to get the underside of him dark but the room again has alot of well balance light which makes things alot easier but these image were far to dark to make it blend in.



When I lighting this scene I focused on one thing at a time, firstly the creature as he will attract the attention of the audience and so he has to look the part.

When I started lighting this scene I looked at areas that would give off light that would effect the creature. Firstly spot lights above the head, there were important to get right. I had to make sure I used a few lights that gave off shadows but the more you use the more crazy amount of shadows so I used only one light that gave off the shadows for the whole scene.





No comments:

Post a Comment